Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
JASTORM JASTORM JASTORM

Independent Media Studio

JASTORM JASTORM JASTORM

Independent Media Studio

  • News
  • Videos
  • Television
  • Radio
  • About
  • Contact
  • Funding
  • News
  • Videos
  • Television
  • Radio
  • About
  • Contact
  • Funding
Close

Search

Subscribe
Yahoo! Sports

NHL upholds Vegas Golden Knights sanctions over media policy violations after appeal

By Ryan Young
May 19, 2026 2 Min Read
Comments Off on NHL upholds Vegas Golden Knights sanctions over media policy violations after appeal

The Vegas Golden Knights’ punishment for violating the NHL’s media regulations will stand. 

The Golden Knights appealed their sanctions in New York on Tuesday morning, according to ESPN’s Emily Kaplan, though the league determined quickly that the penalties will remain in place as originally assessed. 

So, the Golden Knights will be without a second-round draft pick this offseason and head coach John Tortorella will have to pay a $100,000 fine. 

The NHL issued the punishment initially on Friday after what it described as “flagrant violations” of the league’s Stanley Cup playoff media regulations. Most of the team declined to speak to reporters after their 5-1 win over the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday, which closed out their series and sent them into the Western Conference Final. Vegas did not open the dressing room to the media after the game, either, and Tortorella did not speak with reporters. 

SALT LAKE CITY, UT - APRIL 24: Vegas Knights head coach John Tortorella addresses the media during game three of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round between the Vegas Golden Knights and the Utah Mammoth on April 24, 2026 at the Delta Center in Salt Lake City, UT. (Photo by Aaron Baker/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
The Golden Knights lost a 2026 second-round draft pick and head coach Jon Tortorella was fined $100,000 for repeated media policy violations. (Aaron Baker/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

While that was one incident, the NHL said that the Golden Knights had been issued previous warnings about complying with media policies. According to ESPN, this was a pattern of behavior for the franchise.

Neither the Knights nor Tortorella addressed the incident on Saturday, and only pointed to a brief two-sentence statement when asked by reporters.

“The Golden Knights are aware of today’s announcement from the NHL regarding the postgame media availability following Game 6 in Anaheim,” the team said on Friday. “The organization will have no further comment.”

Tortorella was hired by Vegas in March after the team split with Bruce Cassidy with just three weeks left in the regular season. Tortorella had previously been working as an ESPN analyst. 

The Golden Knights will now not have a pick until the third round of the NHL Draft next month. The team had previously traded away its first-round pick to land Noah Hanifin in 2024. 

The Knights and the Colorado Avalanche will open the Western Conference Final on Wednesday night in Denver. 

Author

Ryan Young

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Watch: San Diego officials provide new info on heroism during Islamic Center shooting

Next

Indictments announced against Chinese container firms for alleged price-fixing during COVID pandemic

Archives

Categories

Copyright 2026 — JASTORM. All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme